Easy Blocks - Blackfords Beauty Quilt Block
Learn how to cut and piece basic quilt blocks
Quilt Block 8 - Blackfords Beauty Quilt Block
The Blackfords Beauty quilt block looks pretty complex, but it is not a difficult quilt block to assemble, making YOU look very clever!!!
- From background fabric, cut:-
- two 2" strips across the width of the fabric.
- From this strip, cut:-
- Four 2 x 3 1/2" rectangles and four 2 x 5" rectangles for corners.
- - eight 2" squares for chevrons (draw diagonal line on wrong side)- one 2 x 17" strip for four-patches
- From dark fabric, cut:
- - one 2" strip, and cut from that, eight 2" squares for chevrons (draw diagonal line on wrong side)
- - and one 3 1/2" square for the center
- From medium fabric, cut:
- - one 2" wide strip, and from that cut eight 5x2" rectangles for chevro
- From another medium fabric, cut:
-one 2" strip, and from that cut one 2 x 17" strip for four-patches
- Chevrons: Being careful about the way the angles face, place one background square right sides together at the top of a 2x5" medium rectangle.
- Sew on the drawn line, and trim away the corner.
- Press toward darker fabric.
- Repeat with another three rectangles. On these same 4 rectangles place a dark 2" square at the bottom, making sure the drawn line angles the same way as the seam line at the top of the chevron.
- Sew on the drawn line, and trim away the corner. Press to darker fabric.
Repeat for the other four chevrons, making sure the angles are opposite those already made. Refer to diagram.
Recommended Sewing Machine:
- Brother CS6000i Feature-Rich Sewing Machine
- SINGER 4411 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
- Laura Ashley Limited Edition CX155LA Computerized Sewing & Quilting Machine
Blackfords Beauty Chevron Quilt
Sew pairs of chevron pieces together to complete your chevron.
To make the corners of the Block, with right sides together, and using a scant 1/4" seam (a scant 1/4" seam allowance is just one thread smaller than 1/4"), sew the two 2x17" strips together.
Press towards the darker fabric, and subcut into 2" pieces.Sew two together to make the four-patch as shown below.
Sew a 2x3 1/2" rectangle to one side of the four-patch and press towards rectangle. Sew the 2x5" rectangle to adjoining side.
Press toward the rectangle.
Lay your Blackfords Beauty Quilt Block out beside you (as shown at the top of this page), and sew the top row together, pressing away from center.
Sew second row together, pressing into center, and sew the third row, again pressing away from center.
Now sew your three rows together, and voila!!! a beautiful Blackfords Beauty Quilt Block. Aren't you clever!
Essential Sewing Tools for Quilters
Finished with "Blackfords Beauty Quilt Block" Return to "Learn to Quilt"
Or go to "Summer Winds Quilt Block"
Or return "Home"
Please, leave us your thoughts, stories and comments by clicking here