Shoofly Quilt Block
Learn how to cut and piece basic quilt blocks
How To Make A
The Shoofly Quilt Block
From light background fabric, cut:
- four 4 ½” squares and two 4 7/8” squares
From medium or dark fabric, cut:
- one 4 ½” square and two 4 7/8” squares
On the back (or wrong side) of the two 4 7/8” background squares, draw a diagonal line. As shown:
- Place one background square on top (right sides together) of a 4 7/8” star fabric square.
With the background square on the top,
- sew a seam ¼” away from the drawn line.
- Sew another seam ¼” on the other side of the drawn line as shown below.
- Now cut on the center line.
- Press seams toward the darker fabric.
- Repeat with another pair of the same fabrics.
Arrange units as shown in the diagram at the top of this page, and
Sew the top row together.
- Press seams toward the inside.
Sew the middle row together,
- pressing the rows toward the outside.
Sew the third row together ,
- pressing the seams toward the inside again.
Sew the rows together,
- making sure the seams meet and butt up against each other for a smooth join.
Finished with "Shoofly Quilt Block"? Return to Quilt Blocks
Please, leave us your thoughts, stories and comments by clicking here